Each year, the English Department awards teaching assistantships to motivated graduate students who show promise as writing teachers. Assistantships are secured by students who are skilled academic writers and effective communicators.
Teaching assistantships are one-year appointments that provide a small stipend and full tuition-remission. Based on satisfactory performance in teaching duties and graduate coursework (and conditioned on continued funding of teaching assistant lines by the University), teaching assistants may renew their assistantships for a second and (in the case of MFA students) third year.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English or related field.
- Admission to the College of Graduate Studies at Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Strong English language speaking and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability in academic writing.
- Ability to work harmoniously with undergraduate students, faculty, and other Teaching Assistants.
- Enrollment in a minimum of six (6) graduate credits per semester during assistantship.
How to Apply:
If you are a new graduate student applicant, upload a completed teaching assistantship application package to the same GradCAS system page where you upload program admission materials.
A complete application will include a cover letter detailing your qualifications, a resume, and an academic writing sample (5 to 10 pages). Additionally, you will be prompted to enter the contact information of two references for letters of recommendation.
Continuing students, or students who deferred their admission to a graduate program, should submit the above materials by emailing the Graduate Director.